Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Stones Under Rushing Water

I was sitting by a stream. I had a notebook in my lap and my Bible next to me.
And I was crying. 
I was begging and pleading with God, crying out to Him that there had to be some other way.
He had called me to do something very big and important and hard beyond belief. I was sad and scared and just... lost.
Will You stay strong as You promised?
That was my question for God the whole week.
And suddenly, I felt Him speaking to me. 
Let go.
Let go of what, God?
Everything.
So I reached into my purse. I pulled out a black Sharpie that I always carry with me. Then I reached down toward the bed of the river and picked up a small, smooth stone.
Then I wrote on it why I couldn't obey God.
And I threw it in the river.
The splash was small, but a heavy weight was gone from me.
And so I kept on.
I'm afraid. 
Splash.
I don't want her to hate me.
Splash.
I need her.
Splash.
I don't want to be alone.
Splash.
And I watch my fear sink with those stones.
I picked up one last stone. It was black and shaped like a shield. I was reminded of the verse Psalms 28:7.
"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me."
So I took the shield and I wrote on it.
On one side, it says "Lord".
On the other, it says "Love".
Because Christ is Love and Lord combined perfectly.
In that moment I felt Him looking down on me in His perfect love, singing over me.

Have courage. Even when you need to do something hard. Have courage. God is not weak.
He answered my question.
Will You stay strong as You promised?
"Surely the arm of the LORD is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear." - Isaiah 59:1
So take courage. I know Joshua asked that question, too. John the Baptist. Paul. Moses. Isaiah. Elijah.
And God has always proven faithful.
He has always proven strong and mighty to save.
So take courage.
He is Lord, and He loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment