Thursday, August 21, 2014

If At First It's Hard To Read (The Curse of the Frightening First Draft)

Sorry it's been a little while since I've posted anything. I've been rather busy, and completely exhausted. Hopefully I'll get used to the new school schedule soon.
~~~
So, this blog is Confessions of a Teenage Writer.
Well, here's a big confession:
I don't always want to write.
Often I sit down at the computer at the end (or beginning of a day) and know I won't write anything decent. You just have those days sometimes. I feel as though I might as well shut my eyes and randomly hit the keyboard to get the 500 words I require of myself.
Some days all I get written is choppy, struggling, distracted happenings that somehow will hopefully make a scene in some story.
And you know what?
That's okay.
So I keep going. I struggle on through the hard scenes and I push forward. Sometimes I hit places that flow better, maybe even sounding okay on the first draft.
But currently, most of my draft is an absolute disgrace to writing.
And it's frustrating because I know I can do so much better.
Guess what?
I will do so much better.
I've got two or three more drafts to get it right.
Sure, right now it's short. Right now it's missing buildup. Right now it feels like a cat walked across a keyboard and my story was the result.
But that's okay.
I have faith that I can make this story into something beautiful. Even if it's not right now.

I just don't need to give up. Yes I'm busy and yes I'm tired and yes, some days I just want to forget this and start a new story. Oh well.

Creativity is the part of your brain that just wants to play. It is the child inside your mind. It gives you ideas, but it only wants to work on them when it's fun.
Discipline is making creativity grow up and work a little bit.
No, it's not easy.
But it must be learned if you're ever going to finish anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment